News and Notes is an email news update, sent each Wednesday afternoon. We also produce a fortnightly print version which is sent to congregations on request. If you’d like to be included on the News & Notes mail list, call Heather: 9260 9800 or 1300 736 692 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wanneroo Crossways Uniting Church is holding a Taize Service on Friday 20 April, 7.00pm, at the church, Calabrese Ave, Wanneroo. All are welcome. For more info call 9404 5205.
Presbytery & Synod of WA
- Registration for the forthcoming Presbytery meeting to be held in Bunbury is due this Friday 13 April. Registration is required for catering purposes. Congregational representatives, ministers and deacons who are in active service or are awaiting placement are urged to attend. Retired ministers are also welcome to attend. If you have not received documentation regarding Presbytery please contact Ruth Williams on 9260 9800 or email Ruth.Williams@wa.uca.org.au.
- A Closure of Ministry Service for Richard Telfer will be held on Sunday 15 April as he is due to finish his placement as a First Third Specialist in the South Metro Region. It will be held at 3.00pm at Spearwood Uniting Church, 330 Rockingham Rd, Spearwood.
From the National Church
- UnitingWorld has launched a Climate Change Response Program that emphasises education, resources and adaptation, aiming to provide hope for the people of Tuvalu who are already experiencing the effects of climate change. For more info or to donate visit http://www.unitingworld.org.au/hereandnow/.
- The Ministerial Education Commission has released a report and response paper as part of a national review of the ministry of lay preachers. A summary of the findings may be found at http://assembly.uca.org.au/news/item/1101-review-of-the-ministry-of-lay-preacher. All church members are asked to consider the findings and submit a response by 21 May. For more info visit http://assembly.uca.org.au/news/item/1101-review-of-the-ministry-of-lay-preacher or email email@example.com.
Schools and Colleges
- 7100.St Stephen’s School will be hosting Katy Hutchison, from British Columbia, as she shares The Story of Bob, as part of the school’s Restorative Justice program. Katy’s session is aimed at reducing risk taking behaviour among teens as well as learning boundaries and consequences. All are welcome. It will be held on Thursday 26 April, 7.00–8.00pm at St Stephen’s School Carramar, Primary Forum, 50 St Stephen’s Crescent, Tapping. Cost is free, booking essential. To book before 20 April visit www.trybooking.com/21680.
Ecumenical & International
- Act for Peace’s partners are providing humanitarian support to displaced communities inside Syria, as well as people who have fled to neighbouring Lebanon and Jordan from the violence in Syria. To make a donation and support Act for Peace in this work, visit https://www.thankq.net.au/donate/v224/Donate1.aspx?ref=56767687&pid=5. For more info on Act for Peace visit www.actforpeace.org.au.
- The World Council of Churches (WCC) is leading a campaign to ensure that the proposed Arms Trade Treaty, being negotiated by diplomats from nearly 200 countries in July at the United Nations, will protect people and communities put at risk by current arms trade practices. For more info visit http://www.oikoumene.org/en/news/news-management/eng/a/article/1634/churches-campaign-for-tre.html.
- Five Leaf Eco Awards assist, inspire and reward churches for taking environmental action in response to God’s call to care for creation. A presentation and launch of the program in WA will be held on Saturday 12 May, 4.00pm at St Luke’s Anglican Parish, Mosmon Park. For more info and to RSVP by 4 May contact Jessica Morthorpe on 0409 503 369 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wellspring Community is holding their 2012 weekend Retreat, A Ladderful of Angels, from Friday 8–Sunday 10 June at St John of God Retreat centre, Shoalwater. Come and gain spiritual nourishment for your personal peace and justice ministries. Focus will be with a speaker involved in prison-related ministry and gift-making for those with whom the speaker engages. Earlybird registrations, $250, close 23 April. Email registration is available from email@example.com or call Janelle on 0427 051 101.
- Friends of Australian Rock Art (FARA) will be Standing up for the Burrup at the May Day march in Fremantle on Sunday 6 May. A stall will be held at Esplanade Park, Marine Tce, Fremantle throughout the morning and all are welcome to attend the march at midday from the Esplanade. If you are able to assist in the stall contact June Moorhouse on 0418 920 435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Family Week will be celebrated from 15–21 May. The theme this year is ‘Families make all the difference: helping kids to grow and learn.’ All Australians including community organisations, schools, councils, companies and individuals are invited to participate in activities. For more info visit http://www.familiesaustralia.org.au/familiesweek/.
Jobs: Paid and Volunteer
- UnitingJustice Australia is calling for expressions of interest in joining their Reference Committee. The term of the next Committee will be August 2012–August 2015. If you are passionately committed to the gospel of justice and peace, keen to contribute your gifts and experiences as part of a small, hardworking, voluntary team, and believe in the importance of the national life of the Church, please consider applying. For more info visit http://www.unitingjustice.org.au/society-religion-and-politics/news/item/841-unitingjustice-reference-committee-expression-of-interest
- Uniting Church in the City requires an office assistant with MYOB/Bookkeeping skills for data entry, two days per week, preferably Wednesdays and Thursdays (hours negotiable). For a full duty statement email email@example.com with the subject ‘Vacancy.’
- The Media & Communications Team wants to recruit a team of volunteers to help with recording and video editing of events, to enable greater sharing for rural members. If you are interested please contact Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org/.
- UnitingCare West is seeking volunteers for the New Parent Infant Network (Newpin) program in Merriwa. You will have the opportunity to work alongside a skilled team supporting stressed mothers and their children, aged 0–4 years. For more info on Newpin visit http://www.unitingcarewest.org.au/services/strengthening-families/new-parent-infant-network-newpin/ or to express your interest call 9206 6200.
Ministry Resourcing Centre
Constitution and Regulations 2012 edition. A complete new version of the UCA regulations includes totally revised regulations; the new Preamble to the Constitution; the Basis of Union; Code of Ethics, and the Manual for Meetings. In book only, $35.00. Book and CD, $47.50. CD only (includes mobile version for phones and tablets), $27.50.
With an Open Eye: Parables with meaning for today, by Tom Gordon. From his rich experience of church and family life, through to his ability to observe and reflect on the diverse events of life’s journey, Tom Gordon writes about what he knows and draws us into the lives of ordinary people to offer insights into issues of universal relevance. $19.95
Songs of the Heart: Reflections on The Psalms, by Joan Chittister. Joan Chittister believes that the psalms, all pieces of poetry and music, have rich meaning for people today. She offers poignant and challenging reflections on twenty-five psalms, each offering a spiritual oasis from the stresses of the world. $16.95
Books by Lorraine Parkinson and John Bodycomb:
The World According to Jesus: His blueprint for the best possible world, by Lorraine Parkinson. Lorraine Parkinson’s approach to the Sermon on the Mount has a universal focus which invites participation from people of all faiths, and of no faith. $29.95
No Fixed Address: Faith as a journey, by John Bodycomb. Acknowledging that everyone is the product of a story, John Bodycomb sets his idea of faith as ‘journey’ firmly within his own experience, dealing with who or what we mean by ‘God’, who Jesus is, and religious pluralism. $29.95
Plus postage if applicable. For more info contact Margaret Johnston on 9260 9800 or email email@example.com.
For the week commencing Sunday 15 April: Wellington Regional Mission (Bunbury St Augustine’s, Collie, Donnybrook, Harvey and Waterloo congregations). Please also pray for Uniting Singers.
(Please check the calendar for your church, committee or network and contact Heather Dowling or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific prayer requests.)